Sunday, June 14, 2009

Oh So Blue

I guess I should have known better than to boast about the job offer at the hospital.

A lady from HR called me Friday to tell me that I didn't pass the physical examination I took the day before. The problem is that I've had back trouble in the past and the job requirements for a CNA involve alot of lifting.

The part that really irks me the most is that I wrote on the exam paperwork that my back problems have been resolved by my chiropractor. They specifically asked if I'd seen a chiropractor so I answered truthfully but that was more than five months ago and I stopped going because, as I said, the issue is resolved. However, the Physicians Asst that did my physical reported to the hospital that I should not be a candidate for the job.

I'm so disappointed. This job is close to home, only a 15 minute drive. The other hospitals in the area are over an hour drive and in a big city. It's hard not to be disappointed and mad at myself for screwing it up. I should have just not put anything about it since it's not a current issue. I went in and talked to the nurse supervisor at the hospital and the doctor at the clinic where I got my physical after I got the phone call. They both said I could write a petition and try to get a work release from my chiropractor, but no guarantees.

In addition to that I went in to get my Tuberculosis test read this morning and it came back positive. If a red bump appears that is 10mm in diameter they will send you to the health department to get another test. Mine was 17mm. Not good. The doctor said it could be a reaction to the serum they used for the test and to not worry. So, I'll find out Monday when I can retake the test and hopefully I'll get a negative. I've done some research and if you're positive for Tb, it means months of a strict daily regimen on antibiotics. I've heard that you even have to go the doctor's office for each dose everyday so they know you're taking it as directed.

The whole job scene is pretty depressing these days, as am I. Hopefully things will go better this week.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you?
I was looking through your blog and found it interesting and wanted to leave you a comment.

I hope you will visit my art blog, and become friendly.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Jesse Noe

Honey said...

i'm sorry you're feeling blue. that really stinks about the job. but i know you will find something wonderful because you are wonderful and you deserve wonderful things. think i could add wonderful in one more time? yes. you are a wonderful friend, hope your week gets better.

Tara said...

That sucks! I would try to get the release from the chiro, for sure. Could you actually have TB? How seemingly random! Good Luck!

Jon and Steph said...

Hey girl, I'm so sorry to hear about the job! You have every right to be disappointed! But God has a plan for you, and he probably has a better opportunity for you somewhere else.

About TB, I sure hope everything comes back negative at your next test!

I really hope this next week is better for you ;)

yours truly... said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the job! There is definitely a better opportunity there for someone as deserving and special as you are!! Keep your head up sweet girl!! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!!

Hannah said...

Aw, I'm so sorry the job didn't work out. That's so frustrating/disappointing. I hope your next test comes back negative.. that sounds scary!

Anonymous said...

I had to get a TB test done too, and mine was positive as well. In the end the doctor was like you are fine, go home. My younger brother took a math class where they showed that the current testing process for TB is highly inaccurate because so many people have sensitive skin, or accidentally bump the bubble before it is read. The best way to screen is by drawing blood....

I am sorry to hear about the job, good luck with everything. Something is definitely going to come your way.

J.L.S. said...

I came to your blog from Melissa. I'm also a CNA. Don't worry too much about the TB test yet. I'm a positive reactor to the PPD. If your next one is positive, all they should really do is give you a chest X-ray to see if you have active TB. As long as your chest X-ray is clear, you are fine... no strict regimens! If you are a positive reactor, it just means you have been exposed to TB at some point. Keep your head up! I'm sure things will work out even better than you imagined!

Shoshanah said...

The whole job scene is depressing for a lot of people these days. Overall, its a pretty awful situation.

I would definitely try to petition, it can't hurt right?